Tuesday, February 3, 2009

So, just how DOES one end up with 20,000 "extra" cards?

That is the question I have been asked a lot since posting my 'calling all baseball card collectors' entry. So, I thought I'd share the back story for everyone's amusement (or bewilderment, most likely):

Before setting up '12 Days' this past holiday, I went on eBay and started looking for a few 5000-count box auctions. I opted to stay with baseball cards, and found several offers at prices i thought were fair for what was being described. In fact, I had bid on about half a dozen auctions. And, so I waited and watched.

And, I watched.... And very few other folks were bidding... And, suddenly as the ending times drew near, I was actually hoping to LOSE some of the auctions. Alas, the great auction gods smiled (or perhaps laughed) at me, and I ended up winning nearly every single auction.

Over the course of the next few weeks afterward, box upon box arrived at our doorstep. In fact, two of the boxes came in the midst of the '12 days giveaway.'

As I mentioned in my other post, I got the cards at pretty good prices. I think that's what surprised me in the first place. I figured my bids were low enough that anyone looking would easily snipe them away. Guess no one was looking. As my son would say, "I blame the economy."

For me, it was like hitting the jackpot. Okay, maybe not "THE" jackpot, but "A" jackpot. A card collector's jackpot of random cards. And what better way to share a jackpot than with my friends and fellow collectors!?

Thanks for reading, and keep collecting!

2 comments:

  1. I have been there on the "Oh crap somebody please outbid me" watch. Especially when I am bidding on several items from one seller so I can combine shipping. When the dust settles and I only end up with one card and its not the one I really want it just burns me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have incredibly good karma. You do a great deal of very nice things for other people.

    ReplyDelete