Monday, May 26, 2008

Setting cards free...


If you're a frequent visitor to my site, you know I like to break cards free of their restrictive casings - whether it be a pack, a sleeve, or a PSA-graded clear tomb. Today, I demonstrate my brute-force method for helping two 1955 Golden Stamps escape their transparent death-traps:


First of all, I set the VISE-grips to near full closure, then find an 'empty' space between the card in jeopardy and the edge of the casing...




Once the VISE-grip is attached, I simply raise and lower it until the casing snaps. Then, I move lower on the card and repeat until the plastic inner sleeve pulls free...




As you see here, I made one crack at the top, then moved to the bottom of the 2nd one:




When this one snapped, it actually created a half-moon crack on the back, making it easier to get to the prize inside!




The aftermath of freedom... Kiner and Garcia have escaped and all that remains are shards!

5 comments:

  1. Dude, this rules. Thank you so much for saving me from my awful BGS 8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about you just dont buy graded cards. What's the difference of having them in the graded case and having them in a top loader or case or you choice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Gellman purchased a card not knowing it was graded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was actually asking why anyone would crack a grading case open and take out the card. It is going into a case one way or the other whether it be a top loader, screw down, or whatever. So what difference does it make what case it is in? So basically breaking open a graded case is a waste of a case.

    You are right, Gellman didn't know it was graded. But so what? Why the need to break it open. Don't get me wrong, I despise beckett as much as the next guy, but when I bought my graded Gwynn, Boggs, Sandberg, or other rookies I didnt break them open because I dislike Beckett.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't speak for anyone else, but sometimes I can only find cards I need in the graded form. I don't put mine in a top loader - mine go into 9-pocket pages. I keep all the top loaders I ever get from buying/trading and ultimately sell them in bulk on eBay.

    ReplyDelete